CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Taking Annie to the E.R.



So, we had a little diversion last night. As usual, we were home after work and school, One of the girls' friends called and wanted to go outside and play. I said that was fine, they were going to play on the swing set. Cool, Jason arrived home and started thinking about making dinner. Camry, the friend, had to be home at 6:30 so we decided to wait until she left to make dinner. So, little did I know, the girls and Camry decided to get out their golf clubs. At about 6:15 they all came screaming in to the house and in hysterics. Annie has blood all over her shirt and skirt and running from her head. Camry tells us that she hit Annie with a golf ball. Of course, my mother instinct sets in. Jason grabs Annie and a paper towel, I grab it from his hand and start squeezing her head like a turnip. I didn't even look at where the blood was coming from, all I could think of was to try and control the bleeding and then worry about what to do next. After about 5 minutes, we finally decide to look at the "hole" in her head. She really did have a hole in her head!!! So, next instinct, call Aunt Amanda. She is a nurse and will tell us if we need to go to the E.R. , she wasn't home and didn't answer her cell. Okay, she must be working. I look at Jason and we both agree she needs to go in. Abbie is still hysterical at this point and so is Annie. Annie is absolutely against going to the hospital. Jason picks her up and they keep applying pressure and off we go. On the way to the car, Abbie grabs her Webkinz (She has two). I call my mom and ask if we can drop off Abbie. I just say a couple of words but, she must have heard the urgency in my voice. So, Jason sits in the back of the Suburban on the floor trying to reassure both girls things are going to be okay. We pull up to Mom's house and she grabs Abbie. I knew she would do everything to calm Abbie down.

We arrive at the hospital and the waiting room was empty and the admitting lady hurried us up when she saw all the blood. (I secretly thought this will be a quick trip, no one in the waiting room!) The nurse comes to get us and walks us in the E.R. and low and behold, they are packed!!! I think every older lady (80+) in Spirit Lake is in the E.R. We had two really nice nurses, they were very good with Annie. She calmed down. We were just waiting for the Doctor and all of a sudden Aunt Amanda walks around the corner. She was just waiting to get off of work. Seeing Aunt Amanda made Annie feel better. It was about 6:45 now and she was hungry. Amanda found a juice and some crackers for Annie and she sat there eating soda crackers and drinking her juice trying to convince me that she shouldn't go to school the next day. It would be to embarrassing.

Okay, so, after we finally see the doctor, he decides she needs stitches. Crap, I really thought they would glue it and that would be it. I didn't have her prepared for that. She started freaking! Amanda told her about all the stitches she has had, I tell her about my stitches, and then Daddy informs her he has had stitches too. Lets just say that she really is a trooper. They wrapped her up in a sheet to do the stitches and after she was numb she didn't feel a thing. The numbing was the worst part!!! She couldn't see what was going on with the paper draped over her eyes, and thank goodness for that. She ended up with dissoluble stitches on the inside and 4 blue stitches on the outside. It was after 10 when the girls went to bed so, we let them sleep in this morning and I took them to school at 9:15.

She is so strong. I can't tell you how proud of her I am and I know Jason is. She is one tough cookie!

3 comments:

Ma Monster said...

Well it does sound like she was very strong, but her sister is very brave too! We had to calm her down from hysteria...she was so worried about Annie. But, the spa treatment and hot chocolate worked! Thank goodness for bubbles in the tub and wind chimes! And, I almost forgot! Thank goodness for Webkins! That can make any girl's day tolerable!

Angie said...

Well she sounds braver then I would have been. It reminds me of when I was 4 and got smacked in the face with a metal baseball bat. I learned then my nose will never break (I know I'm weird!) Tell her she officially has a war wound, she is part of the club. Love you guys!

Wes said...

My brother hit me in the eye brow with my mother's driver when I was about three or four. I got stitches too. After I got them out, he hit me in the same spot again. Come to think of it, I wonder if that is what's wrong with me ;-)

BTW: Make sure you come by my space tomorrow... K?