CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 13, 2008

One Year Ago Today....

It is so hard to believe that one year ago today, the Kate Monster Support Crew was in Tempe, AZ cheering on Kate and every other Ironman athletes. What an amazing, life altering experience to be a part of. It is hard to understand why the athletes do what they do until you actually experience it and see the determination in their faces.

I just wanted to post about some of the experiences from that day.

1. Amy and that stupid "Enjoy the Pain" sign... It was great for the bike but, by the time the athletes got to the run, she had the foresight to put it away. Craig wouldn't even stand near her when she had the sign. Most athletes found it funny but, I stood to close to her and had a bad tire tossed at us.

2. It was funny how I couldn't control my emotions when I would see Kate. I wish I could have run for her when she was having problems. It just made me so proud of her all I could do was cry like a baby.

3. Stretching with Bob before we left for Tempe Town. Little did we all know, that Bob would need that stretching 12 hours later to run with Kate.

4. Flying all over Tempe, trying to figure out where we will see Kate next. It was so funny how good Bob and Craig are at figuring that out. We would literally just get to a site and Kate would go by. A couple of times she would have to say," Hey guys" just to get our attention... She was moving on her bike the first half!

5. Seeing Kate swim over us while we were on the Tempe Town Bridge. She could see Mom's really bright yellow jacket so, she waved at us, mid swim.

6. Who can forget about the crack heads at the Burger King we stopped to pee at during our running around! I didn't know if Kell, Amy or I were going to make it out of that one. It was weird. We laughed so hard about it when we were telling the guys about it.

7. Taking the Hummer off roading in the reservation! We were getting some funny looks from the "Native Americans" . I know I had a tan but, I still think Kelley or Amy would have been a better bet for sacrifice. LOL

8. The day before when Kate had to get all her transition bags to the Athlete village. We had so much fun. I also distinctly remember Craig getting in the van and sitting in reverse while us girls were trying to take a picture on the bumper. (He had his chance to get rid of all of us!)

9. The crazy wind the day of the race. It was a giant dust ball out on the bike course. I don't know how Kate did it! And getting attacked by a tumbleweed in the process.

And finally,

10. I will NEVER forget Kate crossing the line and officially becoming an IRONMAN! It was so cool. I know we were all crying. It was a very proud moment. My little sister is an Ironman.

And, I don't want to add another number but, the next day sitting in the airport and Kate, finally having a beer. Kate said it was the best beer she had ever had. What a great experience.

Good luck to the people in Tempe today. May the water be still, wind be always at your back, and cool you off while you are running. Good Luck and congratulations.

3 comments:

Ma Monster said...

Wonderful memories, Chelley. Wasn't it quite a day? I still get the goose bumps. and, I'm so glad you and Kelley were both there that day. It was the first Ironman race for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I think you had a harder day than I did and that's saying A LOT! I still have flash backs of that ENJOY THE PAIN sign!!!

Thanks for being there and getting me to the finish.

Amy Jurrens said...

You guys gotta quit doggin on my sign! It was a total hit until the run course. I put it away then!
;-)

AZ was the first time I met Chell and Kell and Bob. It was where Bob got his nickname El Presidente! It was where I grew close to my Ironman family extremely fast. I laughed and cried. It was where I learned what it is to believe. It was where I learned that the love and support of family and friends can get you through the tough stuff you can't do alone.

Keep those lessons with you on your journey Chell. We are all here to support you on your journey. We know you can do it. Just like at Ironman, the support crew can't do the swimming or the biking or the running, but the crew can make the environment supportive and lighten the load.

Your support crew can't go through the surgery or the treatments, but we can make your evironment supportive and positive and lighten your load so you can focus on recovery.

Soon we'll be chanting "Chelley Klatt. You are a cancer survivor!"